Long Hx of Situational Depression PTSD

Am I clawing my way out of some dark recess, or am I being given birth to?  It’s hard to tell when in a depressive state.  Sometimes I come out renewed, sometimes I just feel broken down and ready to die.  Depression is my companion, sometimes my keeper, and often times it just lulls me into complacency with unacceptable circumstances.  It has kept me alive in some respects — being complacent in a bad situation as a child, meant surviving in the home and surviving in school.  School loses meaning to a child once they have faced horror.  Who cares if I did my homework, I just need to get through one more day at home.

I’ve had suicidal thoughts since I was roughly 5 or 5 1/2 years old.  I used to think about jumping out of the car when we were going fast.  I always talked myself out of doing it, because I thought that by the time I unbuckled my seat belt, pulled the lock up, and grabbed the handle, that my mom would see me and pull over, then I’d be in trouble.

In the first grade, I doodled a grave stone with my name on it at school.  I was just looking at it and picturing myself gone.  When I realized that someone could see that, I immediately erased it.  The teacher wound up seeing it.  She grabbed my shoulders, while looking me in the eye and asked me why I drew that.  I told her that I would be happy if I were dead.  She shook me and told me to never talk like that again.  Were she to report this incident to the principal, I wonder what would have happened.

I held in my feelings and kept my thoughts to myself.  I have large chunks in time missing until about 11 years of age.  I was going through a rough time, transitioning from private to public school, and moving in with my mom’s abusive boyfriend.  At least before, I had my grandmom around all the time.  She was loving and nurturing to me.

By the time I was 13, I was just falling apart.  I was miserable from puberty (I always felt like my body was wrong and puberty made that much worse).  I lived in an abusive home, I was a complete misfit at school, and I had nowhere to go.  I spent a lot of time outside in the woods from 11-12, but a recent move to a large neighborhood surrounded by commercial zones took that away from me.

A friend of mine told me she got to spend a couple of weeks away from home because she told the school counselor that she was suicidal.  I followed suit and went to a behavioral center for a week.  That was the biggest mistake of my life.

I was diagnosed with depression.  My symptoms were: nightmares, anxiety, inability to concentrate, the desire to run away, suicidal ideation, insomnia (also dissociation and flashbacks which I didn’t understand at the time).  Unfortunately, I couldn’t articulate my feelings and experiences so well.  I didn’t even know to mention that most of my childhood is missing.  I didn’t know that an inner dialogue instead of a monologue wasn’t common.  I thought I was going through “phases” not that different versions of myself existed within me.  So, the trauma and the real issues were buried under this label of depression and I was treated with zoloft.

Zoloft made my insomnia worse which meant I was running on less energy.  Between that and the hormonal onslaught which is puberty, I was irritable.  This led to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, at the age of 13 (nevermind the fact that professionals aren’t supposed to give that Dx until after the age of 16), and more drugs that I didn’t need.  I was on 47 different psych meds over the course of the next ten years of my life.  My neurologist said it’s a miracle I didn’t suffer permanent brain damage from what the psychiatrists at those institutes did to me.

I was in-patient for months at a time.  I could barely function because I was on about 8 or 9 different psych meds DAILY.  At one point, I was so drugged that the doctor said I had lost touch with reality and they were considering sending me to a facility which specialized in schizophrenia treatment.  I couldn’t hold a conversation.  All I could do was sleep, eat, and stare.  I gained 80 lbs during this time.  My hair was falling out in clumps.  When it was time to wake in the morning and I couldn’t get out of bed, the staff would call a code green on me, even though I was just lying there and not fighting or even talking.  I’d get dragged out of bed, pinned to the floor by several people, shot with ativan and thorazine, then dragged into the quiet room and strapped to the bed.  This particular stretch went on for around three months.  Even so, I preferred being there than being home. I didn’t think I would survive to 18.

My 18th birthday came along and I threw a nice party, treated friends and family to one of those arcade restaurants.  It was really nice and I ended on a good note with everyone.  I was done.  I didn’t want to suffer any more nor cause suffering (I was convinced that I was irreparably insane and damaged, and that I was destroying my family’s lives).  I decided that if I died on my birthday, then the people who knew me would only be sad once a year instead on the birthday and deathday.   That night, I overdosed on my psych medication and cut my wrists.

I kept blacking out.  I saw flashes of being on the ambulance and going down the hall on a stretcher.  They were about to put a tube down my nasal passage when I blacked out for good.  I had the most peaceful experience: I felt like I was just suspended in the air, like I was totally weightless.  There was nothing around me, literally, nothing.  No sound, no light, no people, no walls, not anything at all.  I felt completely loved and at peace.

I don’t know how long I was experiencing that. I heard a faint crying, like it was close, but muffled.  It became louder and clearer over a few seconds and then I woke up in the hospital bed, to the sound of myself crying.  My body had started crying before I was even conscious.  One of the drugs I overdosed on was lithium, which made me feel the worst I ever felt.  It was as though every cell in my body was being smothered.  I was writhing in agony for several hours.

It was explained to me that my heart had stopped and I wasn’t breathing for almost a minute.  I was resuscitated and slipped into a brief (roughly 20 hour) coma.  I was transported to the usual behavioral center, but since I was now 18 and because my suicide attempt was nearly successful, they moved me to the state psychiatric center, where I stayed for five months.

The stories I could tell.  I’ll keep the fun stories for another post.

First, the setting: most days, there was blood and feces some place public, such as the floor and wall in a hallway.  This place was old and creepy.  They had a ward for the criminally insane and ward for the lifers (patients of the state hospital who were permanently damaged from ECT treatments FROM the state hospital).  There was a geriatric unit, a syphilis unit, one or two long-term units, and the intake unit (<6 months stay).  There were people from all walks of life there, in different states of mental illness.  Most of the staff were pretty laid back and they didn’t call codes for no reason.

The head doctor took me off ambien, cold turkey, so I barely slept for a few weeks.  He was trying to say I had mixed bipolar, which is why I didn’t feel euphoric but still couldn’t sleep.  He was way off base.

Since I couldn’t sleep, sometimes I’d convince the staff to let me into the day room to watch TV.  One night, I was in the day room and one of the male staff came in the room.  He started telling me I was fine and that we’re going to hook up when I get out of this place.  He leaned for a kiss and slid his hand into my genitals.  I was freaking out on the inside, but froze on the outside.  We heard someone walking up the hall, so he quickly moved away and I sprung to my feet.  I sped walked to the nurses station and told them what happened and said I don’t know what to do.  I told two or three staff members and a phone call was made.

The next day, the head doctor had me come into his office.  He told me that the man I accused of touching me had a baby on the way and that if he found out I was lying (which he made clear that he thought I was lying) that he’d press charges against me.  He then stripped away all of the privileges I had earned over the previous months.  I asked if we were done and he said he had nothing more to say to me.  I walked out and let the door slam behind me, not because I was angry, but because I was very nearly hysterical after what happened and then being accused of lying.  The doctor then barges out of his office, demanding that the staff escort me to the quiet room.  I told him I could walk myself, so I went straight to the quiet room, where he followed me in.  I sat on the bed and he stood there berating me and telling me that he thought I was lying about the side effects of the medicine, etc.  When he finally stopped yelling at me, I told him “you’re a fucking quack!” and his eyes narrowed, his face turned red, then he stormed out of the quiet room and slammed the door closed.  He told the staff to keep me there all night.  I cried until I threw up, at which point, one of the female staff let me leave the quiet room.

From the nut hut, I was moved to a group home.  That only lasted about 3 weeks because there was a resident there who sexually harassed me and another resident frequently.  This is the system we put people with mental illness into.  It’s unsafe and mentally unhealthy.

I rented a room from my mom’s coke head friend for a year before I wound up in subsidized housing for people with mental illness who needed help, but were well enough to live outside a group home.  I lived there for roughly 10 years, where I went to school and worked part time.

I hit another low when I felt like I just wasn’t getting anywhere.  I saw no way out.  I was cleaning out my room and giving things away.  I was afraid to attempt suicide because of what had happened the last time.  I was considering selling all of my belongings and heading to South America for a life of wandering as a beach bum, more or less.

Instead, I met someone whom I soon married, against my own judgement.  Needless to say, it didn’t work out, but I did finish my BA in Psychology and I learned a lot about what I can and cannot accept in a relationship.  Now I am right back to the source of all this, living at home with my mom.  It’s basically a never-ending nightmare that I can’t seem to wake up from.  I just don’t seem to get the chance to break out of the cycle because I can barely function as a human being when I’m in this environment, and I need to function to get myself out of it.

So, I’d have to say, depression is a constant in my life, but it isn’t something that drugs fix.  What would fix this, is removing myself from this toxic environment.  I am doing the best I can with what I have, and it simply is not enough.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s